If you drive, it’s a legal requirement to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), (Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) in Northern Ireland), if you have any form of dystonia that may affect your ability to drive safely. Having dystonia doesn’t necessarily mean you will have to stop driving, but you may need a medical or driving assessment.

You must notify them if you have some specific types of dystonia e.g. blepharospasm or myoclonus dystonia. The full list is available online.

Other types of dystonia are a bit more of a grey area as the DVLA and DVA have chronic neurological conditions listed but have not specified dystonia. We therefore recommend it is best to notify them regardless of which type of dystonia you have.