You can get help applying for benefits from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau. People with dystonia are often unfairly turned down for benefits such as Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). It is important not to give up if this happens. Often these decisions are reversed on appeal. Contact our advocacy service for more information.


The Dystonia Society provides the information on this page as general information only. It is not intended to provide instruction and you should not rely on this information to determine diagnosis, prognosis or a course of treatment. It should not be used in place of a professional consultation with a doctor.

The Dystonia Society is not responsible for the consequences of your decisions resulting from the use of this information, including, but not limited to, your choosing to seek or not to seek professional medical care, or from choosing or not choosing specific treatment based on the information. You should not disregard the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider because of any information you receive from us. If you have any health care questions, please consult the relevant medical practitioner.