To enter, you must be a registered student at a UK medical/dental school, and in your 3rd, 4th or 5th / final year of study.
Each essay submitted must be an original piece of work, authored by the candidate. It should be typed in double-spacing in a minimum of 10 point font, illustrated if relevant, maximum 3,000 words excluding references. Each page must have a footer to include: page number, candidate’s name. References should be relevant and in Vancouver format (as in BMJ).
NB If any of the above is incorrect you essay will not be marked
All essays should be submitted electronically in either Microsoft Word 2007 or in PDF via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
The topic is open provided the subject relates to dystonia, for example:
- Treatments; Diagnosis; Genetics; Issues for women & children
- Pathogenesis and pathophysiology
- Factors affecting quality of life
- Perception of dystonia within general population
- The role of EMG in diagnosis or treatments
- Effectiveness of “specialised therapies”
- The role of surgery
The panel of judges
The panel will include
- Dr Mark Edwards (Chair of Marking Panel)
- Dr Tim Harrower
- Dr Hardev Pall
- Dr Peter Moore
- Dr Huw Morris
- Professor Tom Warner
The panel will be looking for a fresh approach, good ideas, and essays that are well argued and clearly written.
It is hoped to publish the winning & selected entries in the Society’s newsletter and website. The winner will be expected to talk about their essay at the award ceremony which will be held during a ‘Living with dystonia day’ in April/May 2013
- 1st £1,500
- 2nd £750
- 3rd (5 prizes) £300 each
Submit essay to email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Monday 3rd December 2012
please mark all communications “Essay prize” in subject line and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to email: email@example.com .
What to do if you want to enter:
- Plan your entry and get researching and writing. You can see previous winning entries on the web site here.
- Complete your essay and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. on Monday 3rd December 2012.
- Please ensure that you tell us the medical/dental school you currently attend and any others you may have a link with.
- Please make sure we have up to date contact details for you – preferably email.